Monday, November 12, 2007

The Race that Stops a Nation


“A race that stops a nation or the whole country,” I couldn’t believe it. I arrived at school Tuesday morning and saw all the kids dressed up in fancy clothes. I didn’t know anything about this thing called the Melbourne Cup.

The Melbourne Cup is a horse race that is held on the 2nd Tuesday in November. Most businesses and schools in Melbourne close for the day. My class had to come to school so they dressed up as race-goers, jockeys, horses and strappers. It was a very colourful parade.

At 3 o’clock everyone went to find a TV to watch the race. We went to the Library and cheered our horses on (if they hadn’t been “scratched”). The winner this year was Efficient. The most famous winner was Pharlap.

(Melbourne is the capital city of Victoria in Australia. I am living with the students in Hawkesdale, which is in Vitoria.)

No comments: